We want you to know a bit about Harry the Wonder Cat and what makes him tick. He is a Maine Coon, so we thought that we would give you a little background on the breed.
The Maine Coon cat, otherwise known as “Gentle Giant”, is a special breed of cat…or so Harry says (and we all know how special he is).
Let’s start with the outer cat. Maine Coons are extremely big for a house cat. The average male Maine Coon typically weighs in at 15 to 25 pounds, but they have been known to be up to 35+ pounds.
They can get to be about 40” in length. (No, that ’s not a typo…40”!) The world’s record is held by a beautiful Coon, Stewie, who measured 48.5”. (Seems like a monster next to Harry’s puny 38”, huh?) Read more about Stewie.
There are some who claim that Maine Coons are the biggest or certainly one of the biggest domesticated cat breeds in the world.
Some other physical traits are:
1. Both their bodies and their heads are rectangular in build, unlike their smaller, sleeker counterparts.
2. A Maine Coon’s medium to long fur has three layers to it to protect them from the cold of Maine (hence the name).
3. Maine Coons have a luxurious mane that resembles a small lion.
4. The tail of a Maine Coon is long in length and covered in long, bushy fur.
5. As is true with Harry, a Maine Coon’s eyes have the wisdom of the ages, revealing natural intelligence.
6. Their ears are normally larger than their counterparts and have tufts of fur growing out of them.
7. Their paws are unusually large with tufts of fur between each “toe”.
8. Maine Coons do not normally communicate like other cats. When they talk to you, which is often, they do it by trilling and singing.
In this author’s opinion, male Maine Coons are certainly one of the sweetest breeds. I know this from experience as my first cat was one. His name was Monkeyface, and Harry is based on him. Like Harry, he was ready to show off his comical antics at a moments notice.
The Maine Coon has a mystery all their own based on many legends. We will share them with you in later posts.
Our thanks go out to:
Harry interviews Little Bea from his new book, “Harry the Wonder Cat: The Legend of the Pink Diamond”. Please join us.